Bar 40 Bitters are a unique collection of flavor extracts that also serve as an essential set of tools responsible for creating unique and memorable cocktails. Our bitters change the flavor of the drink instead of simply adding spices and flavors. Modeled after the way your tongue and taste preceptors receive and comprehend flavors, our bitters add an innovative component to the cocktail experience.
Bar40 Bitters - Sour
A small amount of Bar40 Bitters Sour in a cocktail can go a long way. Even though sour it is not generally known to strengthen any of the four other taste perceptions specifically, it is known to be an effective flavour modifier. Bar40 Sour is a secret game changer. The acid compounds in Bar40 Sour causes an increased amount of saliva to be released which in turn helps to distribute non-volatile compounds to the taste receptors. This effect gives a full mouthfeel and a round or balanced taste to a cocktail. Sour is easily detected at lower amounts. Moreover, taste buds are able to detect various different kinds sour compounds in Bar40 Sour.
- Add Bar40 Sour to cocktails that lack inherent sour to give it a distinctive brightness or "pop"
- Add Bar40 Sour to a cocktail if it is overly sweet, to reduce the perceived sweetness and achieve a more rounded flavour
- Combine Bar40 Sour with Salt will create a perceived sweetness in the cocktail
- This cocktail was created by Bar40 because of a recent love of Mezcal. We wanted to use this wonderful spirit and highlight it with other intense spirits. Strong in flavour and alcohol, this drink is for the people who like complexity in their drink. Use it to impress the experienced drinkers or otherwise people who love intense flavour. Adding Bar40 Sour highlights the secret balancing act that acid can do for a drink that most people don't know about. Notice the difference it makes to the cocktail.
- 1.5 oz. Mezcal (leyenda)
- 0.5 oz. Campari
- 0.5 oz. Benedictine
- 12-18 Pinches Bar40 Sour Bitters
- Stir over ice
Bar40 Bitters - Salt
Salt promotes the release of saliva helping to perceive flavours in a cocktail. Not only does Bar40 Salt help with flavour perception, but it also increases the perceived viscosity of a cocktail. A viscous mouth feel leads to longer interactions with taste buds, leading to a desirable mouthfeel and an overall rounded and satisfying experience. Salt is able to suppress bitter and sour flavours while strengthening sweetness. Bar40 Salt can be used at such low levels that it doesn’t have to be detected by the tongue for its functionality. This means that a drink doesn’t have to taste salty in order for the suppression of sour and/or bitter compounds or an increase in sweetness to be noted. Salt also suppresses the bite from alcohol, rendering a smooth flavourful cocktail with its addition.
- Add Bar40 Salt to a cocktail that is overly bitter to balance the flavour profile
- Add Bar40 Salt to a cocktail that is overly sour to balance flavour and provide a perceived sweetness
- Add Bar40 Salt to a cocktail with an overly harsh alcohol burn, to reduce this sensation
- Most people think of margaritas as a big slushy iced drink made in a blender for spring break parties or all inclusive resorts. This is a terrible depiction of one of the most beatiful looking and tasting classic cocktails. Well balanced and wonderfully pleasing, a properly made margarita will have you coming back for more because it is THAT good. It is also common with this cocktail to rim the glass with salt, we believe this is the worst thing to do. The rim of the glass is where you place your tongue, having your tongue bombarded with salt and overwhelming your taste buds so you can't taste anything else is not what we're trying to achieve. Instead, add Bar40 Salt within the cocktail to balance out the flavours of the actual drink and enjoy the newly created complexity.
- Do not rim glass with salt!
- 0.5 oz. Campari
- 1.5 0z. Anejo Tequila (Don Julio,Jose Cuervo)
- 1 oz. Triple Sec (Cointreau)
- 0.5 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
- 16-18 drops of Bar40 Salt Bitters
- Shake with ice
Bar40 Bitters - Sweet
Sweet compounds are associated with ripe, rich, and great tasting foods. It can easily overpower other flavours, especially when the intention is to suppress unwanted flavours. The addition of Bar40 Bitters Sweet helps to round out the flavour profile of a cocktail. A small amount of Bar40 Sweet can help to make a cocktail more palatable by cutting some of the harsh or overwhelming tastes that can be found in salty, sour, and more noticeably bitter tasting cocktails. The great thing about using Bar40 Sweet is that it will add body and improve palatability of any drink, making it very easy to use. Use it either at high or low concentrations based on what the drinker’s palate prefers.
- Use Bar40 Sweet to a cocktail that is overly sour to balance the flavour profile.
- Use Bar40 Sweet to an overly bitter cocktail to increase palatability
- Use Bar40 Sweet to add body and increase desirability to people with sweet-prefered palates
- This is a riff on the classic cocktail. An old fashioned the stereotypical pre-prohibition cocktail, specifically designed by speakeasies to work with the harsh spirits that were available during that time. Well those days are gone and good riddance, however this cocktail stayed popular amongst bartenders and drinkers over the years. This modern spin on it will bring a fresh look on an old recipe while maintaining its original concept. Using Bar40 Sweet increases the palatability and creates excellent body and smoothness. Balance Bar40 Sweet for people with more or less of a sweet preference on their palate.
- 2 oz. Bourbon or Rye (Buffalo Trace or Rittenhouse)
- 0.5 oz. Simple Syrup
- 16-18 drops Bar40 Sweet Bitters
- Build in glass over ice and stir.
- Garnish with flamed orange zest
Bar40 Bitters - Umami
strongly enhancing the palatability of food, and is now trending very quickly with being used in cocktails. Bar40 Umami strengthens saltiness and sweetness yet can take some of the bite out of sour and bitter compounds without drastically changing the flavour of them. Bar40 Umami also increases body to a drink and adding a sense of smoothness. Improving a drink by making it taste less watered down without changing its consistency all while enhancing the other present flavours. This makes Bar40 Umami very easy to use in any application.
- Add Bar40 Umami to a cocktail to increase palatability and provide a level of excitement.
- Add Bar40 Umami to a cocktail with an overly harsh alcohol burn, to reduce this sensation.
- Add Bar40 Umami to an overly sour or bitter cocktail to balance the flavour profile.
- This is a riff on the classic cocktail everyone knows and loves. The manhattan is often the entry cocktail for first time cocktail imbibers. This modification of the classic recipe, using Bar40 Umami will give you an ultra smooth experience. The harshness or "burn" of the alcohol just goes away with the strong aromatics of Bar40 Bitters Umami.
- 1oz Bourbon (Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig)
- 1oz sweet vermouth (Carpano Classico or Carpano Antica)
- 6-8 drops of Bar40 Umami
- Stir in ice to desired dilution.
- Garnish with a cherry